Sunday, April 25, 2010

Abducted By Chapter 17!

I have recently joined a book club here in Norman, OK. We started out as a branch off from a much larger book club group called Book End Babes. Because we are a branch off of something bigger we were given the name "Chapter 17." I fought against this with all my might. I created alternatives like; Readers of the Lost Arc, Hooked on Books, The Page Turners, or my personal favorite the Write to Read book club (this actually fits because we all met through a writing group), alas all of my protest fell on deaf ears and the rest of the group decided to stick with Chapter 17.
Anyway, Chapter 17 is an all girl book club made up of 6 avid readers!
So far we have read Tainted, Beautiful Creatures, The Book of Fires, and the April book selection which was The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
We had our meet up to discuss The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo last night. I actually hadn't finished reading the book yet so I spent the whole day carrying my laptop with me all around my apartment. You see I had also downloaded the audio version of the book to my laptop so all day yesterday as I cleaned my apartment and did the dishes, my laptop came along with me. That is right, even when I was taking a shower my laptop came with me!
Okay, well, I didn't actually take it in the shower with me but I did have it sitting on top of the toilet (toilet seat down) and the volume was turned up as loud as possible.
And it worked. By six o'clock I had the book done and I was on my to meet up with the girls.
I feel bad though because I seem to be developing a theme when it comes to this book club. At our first meeting we discussed Tainted and Beautiful Creatures. Although I had finished Tainted, I was literally still reading the last few pages of Beautiful Creatures as the girls were already showing up at my apartment. And then last month with the Book of Fires, I didn't even read the stupid thing! I really need to pay attention to my book selections better and actually have the book finished BEFORE we are supposed to meet up!
Anyway, in the book The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, the characters are always drinking coffee. Every time a new character entered the scene and was about to deliver some very important, or even not so important, information to help with the case, it never failed that someone else in the scene would suggestion to them to "go make some coffee"
As part of our attempts to stick to the theme of the books one of the girls, Mandy, decided to make coffee to bring for everyone. She sent out an email wanting to know what kind of coffee everyone liked. I wrote back and said, that was very nice of her but I really only liked iced coffee.
I showed up last night, and not only had Mandy gone out of her way to provide me with iced coffee even though I was the only one in the group that liked it, she had made me an entire pitcher full of iced coffee. Along with all the cream and milk and other various dairy products that go into iced coffee she had included 12 cups of Starbucks brand mocha coffee!!! I felt horrible that she had gone through so much trouble. So what did I do?
And I drank every last drop of it!!!
At first it was awesome.
After ten minutes my hands were a little shaky and my eyes were popping out of my head. I could feel them! I could feel my eyes getting pulled out of their sockets!
After an hour the caffeine had worn off and all the dairy I had just consumed decided to get back at me. I felt so sick the rest of the night and somewhat still into the next day!
Don't get me wrong, I really really appreciated it!
But I wont be drinking iced coffee again for a very very long time!

1 comments:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

Yay! I finally got your comment posting to work! I downloaded The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and you're sooooooo right, the first thing I noticed was the coffee! I'll skip the over-caffination ordeal you put yourself through though.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs