Friday, January 28, 2011

Abducted by Blog Hop 1.28.2011


Woo Hoo it is time for the CraZy for BooKs blog hop!

This weeks question is

"What book are you most looking forward to seeing published in 2011? Why are you anticipating that book?"


Well, to be perfectly honest I don't really know many books that are coming up this year. I don't read a whole lot of series so it isn't like there is a sequel or something that I'm looking forward to. The only book I know is getting published this year is Maeve Binchy's new novel Minding Frankie. Her novels are not necessarily action packed so it isn't like each time one comes out I'm going "OH MY GOD I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!!!" but her characters are like best friends that you just look forward to re-uniting with.

On other notes!

Today is, my love, Elijah Wood's birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY E!!!

To celebrate, for the past week or so I have been listening to the audio version of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, which he is the narrator of!

Now, I am a big fan of audio books. They have helped me many a times finish books before my book club meet ups:) And I have never before had a problem with being able to follow and get into a story before. I don't know if maybe I was just too distracted by Elijah Wood reading to me to pay attention to what he was actually saying or what but it was really hard for me to follow this one. Which is surprising seeing on how it is basically a children's novel! My problem was that... well you know how Huck and Jim are on this raft going down the Mississippi, they have all these adventures in all these different towns and sometimes I would find Elijah reading about some town where some guy gets shot and the daughter is distraught and the rest of the town wants to go after the guy who shot him and I'm thinking...Wait, where are we again? Who just got shot? Am I supposed to know that guy?

Also, I had never read this novel before (and even though I love Elijah Wood as much as I do, I also haven't seen the movie for Huck Finn either) so I don't know if someone who is more familiar with it can answer this next question, but was it supposed to be some big coincidence that at the end of the book Huck and Finn end up at the house of Tom Sawyer's aunt Sally? Is that where they were planning to go all along because if so I totally missed that? When aunt Sally identifies herself as Tom Sawyers aunt I was like "Oh, Come On!" I mean, seriously, what are the odds?

Now I have never read the book for Tom Sawyer (I have seen the Johnathan Taylor Thomas and Brad Renfro movie. Oh, Brad Renfro...I miss that guy) but when he made his appearance in this book I was struck by how frustrated I was by him. He reminds me so much of the title character in Anne of Green Gables. I love Anne, she is one of my all time favorite characters in literature. And they are both these incredibly bright, intelligent, kids who love books and stories and have these rich imaginations where they can take the most mundane of situations and turn them into life and death adventures. But the difference I saw in these two characters is that Anne always went out of her way to bring her friends into her imagination with her, where as Tom had a tendency to use his imagination at the expense of others. Anytime someone didn't see things the way he did he would call them a fool for not knowing about it or not being creative enough. I guess that is just a difference between boys and girls. And I'm not saying I didn't like Tom, it was just something I noticed.

I did like Huck though. He has an imagination like Tom, but more then that he is just a little boy trying to understand the difference between right and wrong and all the gray area in between. But he has a really good heart. Even though it was Elijah reading to me I was picturing Brad Renfro the whole time.

Anyway, it is Friday morning and I better get back to work!

I'm still in the middle of Odd Thomas, which is fantastic. And now that I'm done listening to Huck Finn, I am listening to Jane Eyre because I want to have that finished so I can go see the new movie coming out in March. I'm also reading a book called Nothing to Fear by Alicia Dean. She is an author based out of Kansas but her daughter just started working at the same company I work for. When I met her the other day I was telling her about how much I love to read and she mentioned her mom and loaned me her book so I'm excited to finish that one. So far it is really good.



Don't forget if you decide to follow my blog, let me know. I always love to return the favor!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't you love how EWoods tries to look all serious and solemn in his pictures in the hope that it somehow makes him look older and more mature? Yet, he still comes off as all sweet and adorable.

I bet he hates that.

I've never been a big Tom Sawyer fan, though I love Anne. Have you ever seen the movie with Megan Follows? Fantastic.

Tevya said...

He is a cutie! :)

I am a big fan of series, so I'm really excited about second and third books in a couple of my trilogies coming out. :)

Tevya @ Reading Lark

BookQuoter said...

Thanks for hopping by earlier. and happy birthday to Elijah. He looks really good in that picture.

Howard Sherman said...

The book I’m most expecting in 2011 is by an author I crossed off my “Favorite author” list.

He’s back on that list now.

Who’s the author? Raymond Feist? What’s the book? A Kindgom Besieged.

Hop on over to my website to read all about it – http://www.howardsherman.net

Howard A. Sherman, Implementor
Get Inside a Story
http://www.inthestory.com

Whitney said...

I've never read Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer. Although I have been to Mark Twain's boyhood home which was a little disappointing -- I'm hoping the books are better.

Oh yes Elijah, I understand why the ring wraiths were after him. Happy Belated Birthday!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs