Friday, May 27, 2011

Blog Hop 5/27



It has been a really long time since I've done one of these, but since I was up early enough I figured I would do some blog hopping before heading off to work.


The Blog Hop is hosted by Crazy For Books and this weeks question is...

"What book-to-movie adaptation have you most liked? Which have you disliked?"

Hmm...that is kind of a hard question.

I would say that some of my favorites have been the Lord of The Ring series. They were slightly different from the books but they were a perfect reflection of them.


I also really loved the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice!



And of course the first two Harry Potter adaptations were excellent. 3 and 4 weren't bad either but the first two were really good when held up to the books.



As far as which ones I liked least,

Mansfield Park (1999), The Count of Monte Cristo (2002), and Dracula (1992).


I mean seriously, when I watched each one of those movies after reading the books all I was thinking was "What the hell was that?"

What really irks me though isn't that they want to make changes to a book before making the adaptation. Like I said The Lord of The Ring series made changes and I liked it better for it. Also, Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby and The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham, they both had big changes to their plots when it came to the film adaptations, and I personally loved them.

No, what really irks me is when the films make these huge changes to the plot and then advertise it as "Bram Stoker's Dracula" or "Edmond Dantes' The Count of Monte Cristo"


If you insist on making changes to the plot, DO NOT link the author's name to it because then you are just going to piss me off!

I mean I never saw any press clippings where Bram Stoker approved of that piece of crap movie. So, if there are any out there send them my way.

Have a great day!

13 comments:

Lisa (Lisa's World of Books) said...

You have one of my favorites here as well! I love love love Lord of the Rings!

My Follow Friday

Anne said...

Loved your choices though I do like the BBC Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth better. Love your blog, I am a new follower.

Kat @ NoPageLeftBehind said...

I love the Kiera version of Pride and Prejudice! I almost picked it too :)

Ann said...

I really like the 2005 version of P&P (despite not being a Keira fan.... stop pouting woman!) and after seeing that I've never felt inclined to really read the book. I will get around to it one day... one day!

gabrielreads said...

Dracula was awful and now I wish I'd put that in my post as well. For Halloween last year I got together with a group of friends and we watched Dracula just to make fun of it. I enjoy Gary Oldman and I see this film as being a blot on his record; same goes for Anthony Hopkins. Oh, and Keanu Reeves should NEVER pretend to be British. Ever.

New follower!

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

I did try to warn you about Dracula... but I loved the Count of Monte Cristo, but partly because of all the attractive men and partly because I watched the movie before reading the (abridged) book. ;)

Howard Sherman said...

Let’s kick off Memorial Day Weekend with some scandal and controversy.

I absolutely loved every minute of the Lord of the Rings films and felt they hit the mark when they brought Tolkien’s masterpiece to the big screen.
(ducking as rotten tomatoes are thrown at me as the torches are lit and the pitchforks raised)

Wait, wait. I can explain! Hop on over to my blog and hear me out – http://www.howardsherman.net

Howard A. Sherman, Implementor
http://www.howardsherman.net

fakesteph said...

So funny. I think the problem with books like Dracula is that they are really hard to make a true-to-the-book adaptation. Dracula is actually a really boring bad guy who is constantly referred to as having a "child-brain". And the characters are insufferably perfect with no character flaws that make them relatable in the slightest. HAHA.

Unknown said...

Love your blog. I'm a new follower through Blogspot. GFC was not showing. Would love a follow back. Donna
http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

Ellie said...

I'm the opposite, I hated that version of Pride & Prejudice!

Unknown said...

Lovedlovedloved the LOtR adaptation. You could tell that Peter Jackson (and everyone else who helped write the screenplay) was a true fan of the books.

I like the 2005 Pride and Prejudice version, except for the fact that I'd just watched a couple of seasons of MI-6 where Matthew Mc-whazizzface had a leading role. I couldn't get past it and see him as Mr. Darcy.

I agree with Gabrielreads on Keanu Reeves. He should stick with roles like Ted/Neo/Hot Speed Guy. The one exception being his role in Much Ado About Nothing. He did a decent job with that. Or maybe I was distracted by the leather pants.

Susan said...

Oooh, I agree with your likes. I haven't seen any of your dislikes. I particularly liked the HP adaptations, although I always prefer the books, of course.

Glad to have found you via the Hop!

Loni said...

Lord of the Rings was one of my favourites.

Sorry you didn't like Mansfield Park. I actually haven't read the book yet, but I enjoyed the movie.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs