Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Abducted by Misery

Sunday marked the fourth anniversary of my blog! In celebration I have decided to feature a new review every day this week! I hope you will enjoy them!

THE HEADLINE: How far would you go, to inspire your favorite author?

TIME IN CAPTIVITY: There was a time in my life when I thought I hated Stephen King. I thought he was too creepy and too weird and too out there and waaaaaaaay to long winded. However, as she has with many things in my life, my dear friend Kate showed me the error of my ways.
Now some of his books can be creepy, weird, out there and waaaaaaay long winded. But others are really good! And in a way I would say Misery is one of those books.
Paul Sheldon (think James Garner from the movie) is a well known author for a series of romance novels he has out with a main character named Misery. Annie Wilkes (aka Kathy Bates) is his self proclaimed number one fan. On one dark and stormy night, Paul drives his car off the road during a blizzard and is found by Annie who removes him from his car and takes him back to her house. Once there she goes to great lengths to keep him there, at first just for the company. However, the last Misery book that Paul wrote is released while he is in Annie's care and she is not too pleased when he kills off the title character.
She forces him to write her another novel bringing Misery back to life, and that's when the real torture begins!
I loved the way the novel was structured. Everything is told from Paul's perspective and Annie keeps him pretty drugged up most of the time and therefore the novel does bounce around from time to time. But once you get into it the story is pretty easy to follow. Some of my favorite parts were when Paul began working on the re-write for Annie. I loved reading about his writing process and seeing how the events with Annie were shaped into the book.

THE ABDUCTOR: I'm not really sure who the abductor of this books was. I loved the book itself but I didn't really love any of the main characters. I mean don't get me wrong, I didn't like Annie...AT ALL! And of course I did not feel that Paul deserved anything that happened to him, and his situation definitely wasn't something that would encourage him to be charming or out going. But I usually hold the title of "The Abductor" for those characters that I fall in love with, but I didn't really love Paul.

POINT OF ABDUCTION: The first point of abduction for me was when Annie finished reading the book where Misery dies. Her reaction is completely unnerving and the build up and tension when you are just waiting for Annie to explode was unbearable!

PICK UP LINE: 
...If you promise to be good Paul you can have a piece of birthday cake but you won't have to eat any of the special candle so he promised to be good because he didn't want to be forced to eat any of the special candle but also because mostly because surely because Annie was great Annie was good let us thank her for our food including that we don't have to eat girls just want to have fun but something wicked this way comes please don't make me eat my thumb Annie the mom Annie the goddess when Annie's around you better stay honest she knows when you've been sleeping she knows when you're awake she knows if you've been bad or good so be good for goddess' sake you better not cry you better not pout but most of all you better not scream don't scream don't scream don't scream don't 
This is just a little snippet that shows how twisted Paul's mind gets after everything that Annie does to him. I also just liked how he tied in so many well known phrases and you can really get a sense of the desperation at the end.

ABDUCTION RATING:

All in all I loved that book and I am officially over my blatant fear of Stephen King. As long as the page count doesn't get too high up there I am more then willing to give him a shot.

3 comments:

Annette Mills said...

Oh gosh, I loved this one. Your review made me want to read it again. And, I thought the movie was well done. Kathy Bates is awesome...

Andrea @ The Overstuffed Bookcase said...

Ack! This sounds so creepy! I am definitely more of a Stephen King fan now that I've read a couple of his books, but I know that if I read this one it'll be during the daytime!

mostafashaban said...


شركة مكافحة الحشرات تمتلك تركيبات كيميائية خاصة بها تحقق رش مثالي وناجح للحشرات المتواجدة في فتحات الصرف بالحمامات والمطابخ وكذلك المتواجدة في الأثاث بكافة أشكاله والتي تتخذ من زوايا المنزل ملجأ لها، نحن نوفر لك قتل آمن وإبادة سريعة لتلك الحشرات وإجراءات تمنع امتلاء المكان بالحشرات مرة أخرى، فنحن شركة نجوم الخليج للخدمات المنزلية التي تتألق دومًا في كل ما تقدمه من خدمات للعملاء في شتى الانحاء، خدماتنا في مكافحة الحشرات شاملة القضاء على الحشرات، وتأمين الأماكن من خطر الحشرات والمتابعة المستمرة من أجل عدم إعطاء فرصة ولو ضئيلة للحشرات من أجل الظهور، اتصل خلال أي وقت باليوم.
شركة عزل فوم
شركة عزل فوم بالرياض
شركةعزل فوم بالقصيم
شركة عزل فوم بحائل
شركة عزل فوم بالجبيل
شركة عزل فوم بالاحساء
شركة عزل فوم بالقطيف
شركة عزل فوم بحفر الباطن
شركة عزل اسطح بمكة
شركة عزل فوم بمكة

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs