Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Abducted by The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Sunday marked the fourth anniversary of my blog! In celebration I have decided to feature a new review every day this week! I hope you will enjoy them!

THE HEADLINE: Three kids die in accident. Will the only survivor have the strength to remember the truth?

TIME IN CAPTIVITY: I went into this book with absolutely no expectations. I was hoping to like it, but I had also seen some negative reviews for it so I was prepared for some issues. I ended up really liking it though! It definitely wasn't perfect, but it was still enjoyable.
Mara Dyer is a teenage girl who wakes up in the hospital with no memory of the accident that put her there or the fact that three of her friends died in that same accident. Now, she has moved to Miami with her parents and two brothers and is starting at a new school. 
But not all parts of this transition play out smoothly. For one thing, she is struggling with severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. This part of the plot I found most exciting. With all her hallucinations I had no idea if she was crazy or haunted or stalked or what was going on! Normally, I get frustrated when it takes too long to figure out what the plot is, but for some reason I was having so much fun thinking she was crazy that it didn't bother me. Every time she met someone new I kept waiting for someone else to acknowledge them before I trusted that they were actually there. 
And Mara did meet a few new people, a friend named Jamie, and the cute boy at school Noah. 
The harder that Mara tries to ignore her hallucinations, the worse things seem to get. 
And the closer she gets to Noah increases her desire to finally discover the truth. 

THE ABDUCTOR: I loved Noah in this book! He was cocky and crass, which I normally hate, but for some reason I found it all really funny and cute. And I didn't believe all the stuff that Mara heard about him from her fellow classmates. Apparently there are a lot of rumors going around the he is basically a man whore, but I didn't buy it. 
I'm sure the abductor was supposed to be Mara, but she turned out to be a slightly unlikable character. I didn't ever really hate her or anything, but she could be bratty and self-centered at times. 

POINT OF ABDUCTION: There was a scene towards the beginning that involved a dog that Mara tried to rescue and I think that was my point of abduction because I was so concerned about the dog I had to keep going. 
I was also abducted by all of the creepy hallucinations! They were so spooky I just had keep going to find out how crazy she was!

RATING: 

4 comments:

Andrea @ The Overstuffed Bookcase said...

Well, I'll add you to the list of all my friends who love this book. Nothing wrong with that--it's just one of those times when everyone loved it and I didn't. I really, really wanted to love it, but alas, it just didn't happen. Oh well. Great review!

Aly said...

This is one of my favorite books. I know Noah is "cocky and crass" but I love his humor. I just love the humor throughout the entire book. It's definitely dark and snarky but I love it because it's kind of like my own. I also love the chemistry between Mara and Noah.

Kimberly @ Midnight Book Girl said...

Sooooo glad you loved this one! It was one of my first unreliable narrator reads and I loved it so much! Also it has a pretty cover!

Unknown said...

The Only Way Is replica watches uk Essex has become a shock success in the UK viewer rating tables; more than 1.1 million people replica rolex tuned in for the first episode of the new series on the 20th of March this year, and it popularity gucci replica around the water coolers and social network status bars across the country suggest that the forecast is good chanel replica for the creators achieving a program status.

Just as Beiber replica handbags seems to divide the world in to two firm camps, one pro and the other with pitchforks in hand, the shows viewing figures may owe something hermes outlet to spectator dichotomy. There is little space for indifference, many of the people fendi outlet that watch Essex either love the show because they love the characters, or love the show because they despise the characters. Whilst to some of us the idea of watching a show on the basis rolex submariner replica that you hate, without exception, every single pixelated permatanned pleb gucci replica on the screen at any given moment is counter intuitive, there are a large volume of voyeuristic masochists that do just that.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs