Thursday, April 17, 2014

Abducted by The Second Summer of the Sisterhood

Sunday marked the fourth anniversary of my blog! In celebration I have decided to feature a new review every day this week! I hope you will enjoy them!

THE HEADLINE: Four friends get ready for another crazy summer!

TIME IN CAPTIVITY: I was severely disappointed with this book. I mean it was written in the same tone and style as the first, which I loved, however it also had almost the same story lines as the first book which I could not believe! I mean literally, the exact same story lines!
Lena is obsessed with Kostas, even though she spends over half the book not even speaking to him. Tibby has yet another person following her around like a puppy dog that she is choosing to ignore. Carmen is mad at one of her parents because they aren't giving her enough attention. And Bridget is depressed.
Actually, Bridget's story line was the only one I liked because depression doesn't just clear up in a flash. So I was grateful that they showed her still struggling with the symptoms.
Now, Tibby frustrated me because she so easily ignored her friend Brian. I understood why she was reluctant to befriend Bailey in the first novel, because she was 12 and no 16 year old once a 12 year old following them around. But Brian was already her friend, and a very close one at that. He didn't deserve to be ignored. But in fairness I will also say that I thought it was crazy that Brian kept showing up the way he did. And I could see where Tibby had wanted to do something new on her own this summer and him showing up all the time got in the way of that.
Lena and Carmen really pissed me off though. I didn't buy Lena's feelings for Kostas in the first book, so my dissatisfaction with that couple carried over to the sequel. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt because the book only takes place during the summers and so Lena and Kostas had a relationship during the school year that I wasn't privy-ed to. But the whole thing wore on me by the end. And Carmen was just being ridiculous! I couldn't believe how selfish she was behaving. I mean I guess some teenagers freak out when their parents start dating again, but Carmen really let it consume her.
In the end, I spent so much time being frustrated with the plots that it made it hard for me to enjoy the book. But I will finish the series! My sisters and I all want to do a read-a-long for the fifth and final book so I'm already committed to finishing. But the good news is that Carmen has run out of parents to be mad at and Bridget is finally doing better so the next book has to be different....right?

THE ABDUCTOR: As I said already Bridget was the only character I cared about in this book. It would have been incredibly unrealistic if I had opened this book to find Bridget as bubbly and provocative as she was in the first one. But I also didn't expect the author to make the choice of still having her struggle as much as she was to get back to feeling like herself again. So, for that alone I was extremely grateful!

POINT OF ABDUCTION: I can't think of a point of abduction for this book. I just tried my best to push through it and I really did try to make the best out of it.

PICK UP LINE:
I mean putting yourself out there in the way of overwhelming happiness and knowing you're also putting yourself in the way of terrible harm. I'm scared to be this happy. I'm scared to be this extreme.

ABDUCTION RATING:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Andrea @ The Overstuffed Bookcase said...

I think I'll just have to skip this one if I start reading the series. I'll just ask you the main plot points. ;)

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

Hmm, I have the first book somewhere on my shelves but it's not a series I really plan on reading. So maybe book one and done! ;)

Kimberly @ Midnight Book Girl said...

I think I read the first one a long time ago, bur I don't remember much, and what I do remember probably came from the movie. Sorry this one disappointed you!

Unknown said...

I'm enjoying this theme of a review each day! And I'm ready for you to read the 3rd one and remind me what it's about, because I sure don't remember :)

Unknown said...

"Hi Babe, yeah I replica handbags called through the coordinates. Coordinates? Yeah cartier replica it just means you are as in yeah sorry there been rolex datejust replica a committee meeting and bizarrely by unanimous verdict they decided that napalm is the only way to go swiss replica watches, what that? Well I suppose napalm is a bit like fake tan yes, and epilation, and a particularly rolex masterpiece watches thorough skin peel."

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs