Saturday, April 30, 2011

Abducted by the Silver Chair

First of all, I just wanted to remind everyone that tomorrow is the last day to vote for which Adam Sandler movies should be reviewed over at REVIEWS IN 5 so please go vote! I love this site and I am really grateful to be a part of it!

Now here are my thoughts on The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair...




As I have said before, this is my favorite of the Narnia series. The first time I read it there was one scene specifically that really resonated with me. In the beginning I loved this book because it was the one that contained my favorite scene, but now...I've read this book so many times, it is so familiar to me that I love every part of it. I love each and every scene and now it all blends together in my memory so much that I don't always remember the exact reasons for why I love this book. I just know that I do.

Now, I'm not going to tell you what my favorite moment in this book is. For that you are going to have to wait just a couple of weeks. I know, I know, How dare I leave you on pins and needles! But you see, I'm getting a tattoo in about a week and a half that will be based on my favorite moment in this book. So, in order to not repeat myself too much, I'm going to wait until then to tell you. When I show my tattoo I'll then give you the reason behind it.

But here is what I will tell you...

I loved Eustace in this book. I liked that he kept his original personality. It wasn't like after his adventures on the Dawn Treader he came home and became this completely different person. I mean don't get me wrong, he changed A LOT! At the beginning of the last book he was angry and spiteful and conceited. And now he is a good kid but you still see little moments where he can be snappy. He never hesitates to say "I told you so" or point out when fault lies with someone else. BUT, he also willingly admits when he is the one to blame and takes responsibility for his own misgivings.

One scene where he showed a lot of courage was at the very beginning, during the Parliament of Owls. The scene was barely noticed in the book and kind of glossed over so you don't see it as a big deal. But when Jill and Eustace first go to meet with the Owls, well, Eustace had just gotten to Narnia. He realizes it has been 70 years since he was last there, his friend, the King, is old and dyeing. And he goes to meet with the Owls who are meeting in secret at night. Eustace stands up and says to them that he doesn't know what their business is, but if they are against the king he was having nothing to do with it. And seeing on how in that moment Eustace really thought they could have been against the king, it took a lot of courage for him to step up like that.

Eustace and Jill at times remind me some what of Ron and Hermione. With the way they bicker and snap at each other. Jill was really sassy and wasn't afraid to tell Eustace when to shut up!

Puddleglum is my favorite! He is so lovable. I love that the Marshwiggle's are so pessimistic. And I think that simply shows how brave Puddleglum really is. If he genuinely thinks that only the worst could happen, that they are all going to die on their journey and never find the Prince, but he tries and fights anyway, than that is true courage.

After finishing my post on the Voyage of the Dawn Treader I did go and rent the movie from a local video store. It was AWESOME! I loved it, I really did! Don't get me wrong, they changed A LOT! And parts of it felt like it was set up like a video game...

"Travel through all the levels collecting the 7 swords of the great Lords and then you can marry the Star Princess"

But I don't know, I just thought it was really cute.

And my favorite part was at the very VERY end when they get back to our world and Eustace's mom calls to him from down stairs and says that Jill Pole has just arrived. I was so happy to hear that reference to the next book that I could have cried. In all honesty I did get pretty chocked up.

I can see this book made into a movie so easily. They would of course play up the death of the Queen and the enchantment of the Prince. And they would show the threat of the underworld army lurking underneath. It would be great.

And I think, Alan Cumming should play Puddleglum! I just watched a miniseries on NetFlix for this show called Tinman and he was great in the part of Glich based on the Scare Crow in the Wizard of Oz.



Okay I've got to get going to a Reviews In 5 meeting! Have a great weekend and I'll see you on Monday!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see your tattoo!

I need to re-read the Silver Chair and refamiliarize myself with the characters before I can comment on the Cummings as Puddleglum theory. :)I thought he was pretty brilliant in the Tinman mini-series though.

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Winds of Change kit by NatashaNaSt Designs